It is critical in today’s competitive job market that one is aware of pitfalls that one can avoid.
This list is all about the most common career-limiting moves:
- Lack of real insight or thought – the impact of this leads to situations that exist purely based on the fact some people fail to pay attention to how things work and their own behaviour.
- Confusing actions for results – employees get paid not to show up, but to actually get some type of results. Unfortunately some people think that simply just doing stuff is what it’s all about.
- Chronic absence or tardiness – if you are absent too much or late too much, you won’t be going anywhere because you will be viewed by management as undependable.
- Refusal to admit mistakes – we all make them. We’re supposed to learn from them. When you don’t admit a mistake, your employers not only know you’re clueless but they expect you to repeat it.
- Inappropriate computer use – it doesn’t matter if you view porn, check your Facebook page, or shop at work. If you’re wasting company resources it will catch up with you.
- Poor culture fit – if you don’t fit in, you can change, leave or get fired. There may be companies you just can’t adjust to; be smart and figure that out before it damages your career.
- Missing commitments – nothing will destroy trust faster than habitually not meeting your commitments. No one will want to work with you, and no one will want you to work for them.
- A sense of entitlement – people who think the company or boss owes them for simply breathing air at work can be sniffed out quickly. It’s a disagreeable quality. Everyone is expendable.
- Not thinking outside the box – if you can’t think outside the box or won’t do it because you’re too lazy, the boss will find someone who will. “Just” doing your job can be done by hundreds of other people.
- Bad-mouthing colleagues and management – you have to assume anything you gossip at work to someone you work with will be shared or spread. Most of the time the “code of silence” simply doesn’t exist, no matter how close your relationship is.
There is nothing on this list that is difficult to avoid. The people that tend to really kill their chances of going anywhere in their career simply do not think about their environment and the purpose of being employed.
Source: Key Players