Unemployment in South Africa rose to 30.1% in the first quarter of 2020, according to Stats SA.
Since the beginning of the year, SA’s tech sector has seen a jobs bloodbath.
- In January, telecommunications giant Telkom communicated it was retrenching as many as 3 000 employees
- Retail giant Massmart closed down its electronics units – DionWired and Masscash – leaving 1 400 people without jobs
- Systems integrator Dimension Data revealed that approximately 480 employees were to leave the business through a Section 189 process
- Cell C announced it was to let go of as much as 40% of its semi-skilled labour force, as well as some senior managers and executives
- SABC is also set to cut about 600 jobs
During the period, finance shed the most jobs (50 000), followed by community and social services (33 000), agriculture (21 000), transport (17 000), manufacturing (15 000), construction (7 000) and utilities (4 000).