Tag: tariff

By Jason Felix for IOL

In a first gut punch for consumers for 2019, Eskom is asking the National Energy Regulator (Nersa) for a 45% electricity increase spread over three years.

Public hearings on Eskom’s demand for a 15% electricity tariff increase over the next three years will start in Cape Town next week and advocacy groups are seeing red, saying government’s timing was a clear sign that it wanted increases pushed through.

This increase is on top of the 4.41% hike that was already granted to Eskom by Nersa. Eskom has argued that this 15% increase was needed to ensure that it maintained its stability and growth trajectory.

But Energy Expert Coalition’s Ted Blom said Eskom’s application should be scrapped as the still-captured and corrupt utility should not be granted any increases until a full forensic audit was completed.

“As we now enter 2019, Eskom is rudderless. The Eskom board has proved to be dysfunctional and required ministerial intervention on several occasions. Although appointed 12 months ago, they were unable to carve out a credible turnaround plan despite the use of expensive outside consultants,” he said.

Last year, President Cyril Ramaphosa intervened in the crisis at Eskom by appointing a team of eight to steer the board in the right direction by January 31 this year.

“The many futile interventions point to an unsalvageable and bankrupt Eskom. In fact, the pillaging is still continuing, this time by another ‘third force’ which has replaced the Zupta gang. Questions remain as to why no one has been prosecuted and no monetary recovery has occurred,” Blom said.

Nersa said it had received Eskom’s third Multi-Year Price Determination Regulatory Clearing Account (RCA) Year 5 (2017/18) application totalling R21 million and fourth Multi-Year Price Determination application totalling R219 billion, R252bn and R291bn for the 2019/20, 2020/21 and 2021/22 financial years respectively.

The energy regulator said that it would assess Eskom’s applications following due regulatory processes.

Eskom said that it continued to implement a short-to medium-term 9-point recovery programme that would see steady and sustained improvement in plant performance and coal stock levels.

It added that steady progress was made with regard to fixing coal stockpiles as 35 new coal contracts were concluded in the last year.

It also said the probability of load shedding remained low until January 13.

Stop CoCT founder Sandra Dickson said the timing of the public hearings showed that the increases should be rubber stamped.

“It is the worst decision to hold public hearings so early in the January. We also need to state that consumers cannot pay these exorbitant increases. It just does not work.

“The average family earns about R15 000 and more. For all that money to go to the City and to Eskom is absolutely criminal. People cannot survive,” she said.

Dickson said although Eskom had problems, its cash flows remained important. “They should get an increase but nothing above the current inflation rate… We need Eskom to run properly but cannot expect people to pay such high rates,” she said.

Public hearings on the increases will be held on January 14 at the Southern Sun Cape Sun Hotel in the city between 9am and 5pm.

Finance Minister Malusi Gigaba said on Tuesday that power utility Eskom’s application for a 19.9% electricity tariff hike next year is “unjustified”.

Gigaba was addressing a business breakfast in Umhlanga, north of Durban, organised by the Durban Chamber of Commerce and Industry.

“To ask South Africans to pay more … when the economy is subdued and the mid-term outlook is as subdued as it is and we have the types of financial and leadership challenges that Eskom is now experiencing, I think that will serve as a perverse incentive,” he said. “We’ve got to be careful what we do.”

Eskom has asked National Energy Regulator (Nersa) to allow it to implement a 19.9% tariff hike for the 2018/19 year. Nersa is currently conducting public hearings into the feasibility of the increase.

Gigaba also called on the power utility to stabilise its finances, saying that public officials needed to be “circumspect” about how they manage public resources.

“All public officials needed to be conscious of the need to fight corruption, irregularities and inefficiencies to ensure that state-owned companies perform well,” said Gigaba.

“That’s why I think that the Eskom application for a higher tariff is unjustified, given the fact that on the other hand we have excess electricity.”

The finance minister told the business breakfast that Eskom must “incentivise” South Africans by improving its governance and employing what he termed “properly qualified executive leaders from CFOs (chief financial officers) to CEOs (chief executive officers) and all other executive directors”.

Mini budget

Gigaba criticised those who said his mid-term budget painted a bleak picture of SA’s economy and failed to boost confidence.

He delivered his maiden mini budget to Parliament in Cape Town last Wednesday.

The minister told the business breakfast that he had to present facts about the state of SA’s economy as they stand. “We gave an honest view of the challenges facing our country. We couldn’t go and spin ourselves to the country knowing all is not well. We couldn’t just go to Parliament and stand before the nation and lie.

“All the things that we said in terms of the country’s economic outlook for the medium-term budget were facts, as they stood before us, when we presented the statement,” he said.

“No minister of finance, worth their soul, would have presented anything different; they would have stated the facts as they are.”

Pay your taxes

Gigaba said everyone needs to pay their taxes, given that SA faces a R50.8-billion tax revenue shortfall.

And with National Treasury expecting GDP growth of only 0.7% this year, Gigaba said that “little social and economic transformation” could be expected without stronger economic growth.

He urged the private sector to join hands with government to boost the economy.

“Economic growth and transformation must become neutrally reinforcing principles. Government is doing its share and will continue doing so,” he said, mirroring what he said in his budget address.

“The private sector must bring something to the table, it must be a give and give situation,” he said.

Speaking of the state’s mounting debt, the finance minister said government doesn’t want to leave future SA generations facing a debt hole they won’t be able to manage.

“We need to give them a growing economy with less debt so that they could begin developing wealth for themselves and grow [the] economy of those who will come after them,” he said.

By Mxolisi Mngadi for Fin24

Follow us on social media: 

               

View our magazine archives: 

                       


My Office News Ⓒ 2017 - Designed by A Collective


SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Top