Source: Business Insider SA
Following the example of Absa, MTN launched a WhatsApp service on Tuesday. You can now buy MTN data via WhatsApp.
The announcement came during a turbulent day for the company, which at one stage saw its share price down 7%.
In a dramatic day for MTN for other reasons, the company launched a new WhatsApp service on Tuesday to allow customers to interact with it via the popular text-messaging platform.
MTN’s share price suffered a sharp drop in the morning, after the Nigerian government urged a Lagos court to proceed with a penalty of $2 billion (R29 billion) against MTN. The government first instituted the penalty last year, accusing MTN of evading taxes. MTN’s share price has lost almost a fifth of its value in response.
The Whatsapp-based MTN Chat service will eventually also allow customers to speak to customer support and upgrade their packages. Customers will also get low-balance alerts via WhatsApp.
MTN follows Absa, which recently introduced WhatsApp-based “chat banking”.
Though MTN reportedly claimed a “world first” in allowing customers to buy airtime via WhatsApp, Absa customers can already do just that via its service.
WhatsApp remains by far the most popular messenger app in South Africa; according to a recent study, 49% of adult South Africans use WhatsApp – compared to Facebook Messenger’s 32%.
As with the Absa service, MTN Chat has been enabled by South African-born company Clickatell, which was founded in Cape Town in 2000 to help businesses communicate via SMS.
It has since partnered with WhatsApp, and now has a head office in Silicon Valley, with 15 000 clients around the world, including Visa, IBM and McKinsey. Clickatell may even consider listing in the US this year.
The Sunday Times reported that MTN South Africa and Telkom have held discussions regarding a possible merger.
A merger between the companies makes sense operationally, as it will create a telecoms powerhouse in South Africa with tremendous scale.
It will combine MTN’s strength in the mobile market and Telkom’s dominance in the fixed-line and fibre arena.
This scale will provide the companies with a competitive advantage in South Africa in both the fixed and mobile markets.
This, however, is the reason why such a merger will not be approved by the Competition Commission – unless strong political forces drive it.
MTN–Telkom plan not new
The plan to merge MTN SA and Telkom is not new. In 2015, MTN considered an acquisition of a majority stake in Telkom to challenge Vodacom’s dominance in South Africa.
At the time MTN reportedly held exploratory discussions about a possible offer for Telkom.
These discussions followed a planned network-sharing agreement between Telkom and MTN SA in 2014.
The plan was for MTN to take over financial and operational responsibility for the rollout and operation of Telkom’s radio access network.
MTN said at the time it does not expect the deal to require regulatory approval, but it expects resistance from industry participants.
MTN was wrong. In 2015, the Competition Commission recommended that the Competition Tribunal not approve a bilateral roaming agreement between MTN and Telkom.
The Commission said the transaction would impact the structure of the mobile market in South Africa, and would “prevent or lessen” competition.
Bigger deal will be more difficult
If the Competition Commission would not approve bilateral roaming and outsourcing of the operation of Telkom’s radio access network to MTN SA, a bigger deal will nearly certainly be rejected.
However, if there is enough political will to make such a deal happen, approval may be easier to get.
The South African government is a controlling stakeholder in Telkom, and President Cyril Ramaphosa was MTN’s chairman for over a decade – from 2002 to 2013.
If such a move can help the two companies to become more profitable and avoid further job cuts at Telkom, it may receive a favourable reception among political decision makers.
MTN comments on discussions
MTN South Africa’s executive for corporate affairs Jacqui O’Sullivan told MyBroadband that they remain in talks with Telkom regarding its roaming agreement.
“Reports regarding further discussions between the two operators are conjecture and MTN chooses not to comment on market speculation,” she said.
Telkom was asked for feedback regarding the discussions, but the company did not respond to questions.
By Loni Prinsloo, Bloomberg/Fin24
MTN will replace its cross-town rival Vodacom in a network-sharing deal with Cell C, South Africa’s third-largest mobile phone operator.
Cell C, which has roamed on Johannesburg-based Vodacom’s network since 2001, will switch to MTN from next month, Cell C chief executive officer Jose dos Santos said in an email.
The bulk of services will be transferred within two months and will allow the operator to offer 3G and 4G connectivity in areas where Cell C has decided not to build networks, he said.
For MTN, the deal will help fund “our ongoing network expansion,” MTN South Africa CEO Godfrey Motsa said in a statement.
Cell C will roam on MTN’s network in smaller cities and rural areas, where the company has additional capacity. Vodacom couldn’t immediately comment.
South Africa is MTN’s largest market after Nigeria and the company has invested almost R30bn during the past three years to expand its network and catch up with Vodacom’s coverage in the country.
The Sunday Times has reported that an MTN employee, who worked as a senior fraud analyst, sold the cellphone records of high-profile politicians and journalists to a Gupta-linked company.
According to the report, she was paid R3,750 by a private investigations company for the mobile phone records of Trevor Manuel, Tiso Blackstar editor-at-large Peter Bruce, and Financial Mail editor Rob Rose.
Manuel, Bruce, and Rose are outspoken critics of the Gupta family.
Part of these records were published on Wmcleaks.com – a fake news website – on 13 August.
Bank of Baroda CEO Manoj Kumar also featured in the Wmcleaks report, and is accused of being a sellout to white monopoly capital for trying to close Oakbay’s accounts.
“Trevor via an untraceable middle-man had carried out around 30 calls to the Chief Manager of Bank Of Baroda SA, Manoj Kumar Jha,” states Wmcleaks.
“Many calls between Trevor and Rose have been verified within the time frame of the Oakbay’s accounts closure in BOB regarding the creation of this intimidation scenario.”
The Wmcleaks report added that “Rob Rose was also in constant touch with Peter Bruce within the said time frame”.
Shortly before the Wmcleaks article, Bruce wrote a column titled The price of writing about the Guptas.
He provided details on how he was followed and photographed, accused of cheating on his wife, and attacked online.
MTN confirmed the transgression by the employee, who did not arrive for a disciplinary hearing and instead resigned from the company.
“Providing call data records of a third-party to anyone outside of MTN is a serious and major violation of MTN’s internal policies and procedures,” said MTN.
Wmcleaks published an image of the call records detailed above.
Source: My Broadband
A week after he took over as executive chairman, Phuthuma Nhleko secured a temporary reprieve in Nigeria from paying a $5,2-billion fine.
The embattled MTN announced on Monday that its CEO Sifiso Dabengwa has resigned.