South Africa has moved to Lockdown Alert Level 3 as on 16 June 2021.
President Cyril Ramaphosa made the announcement on Tuesday.
The curfew will now begin at 10 pm, ending at 4 am. The President announced that Public gatherings will now be restricted to 50 people indoors and 100 people outdoors.
Off-site sales of alcohol will be restricted between Monday and Thursday.
Meanwhile, the on-site sales at restaurants remain as per their liquor licenses.
The decision was made after a steady rise in numbers in the last few weeks. Gauteng is now the hotspot for the third wave.
By Ray White for EWN
Movie outlet Ster-Kinekor has been placed under voluntary business rescue.
In a statement on Friday evening, the company said the business rescue was aimed at facilitating the rehabilitation of the company.
It said up until February 2020, Ster-Kinekor welcomed millions of movie goers every year to their cinemas.
But due to various factors brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic, Ster-Kinekor has been trading at a loss, as the company continues to incur costs.
“As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and the consequent economic lockdown instituted by the South African government at the end of March 2020, all cinemas were required to shut down, and only permitted to reopen under strict conditions as from the end of August 2020.
“Since then, the company has been operating under various forms of restriction, including curfews and mandatory limits to the number of guests per auditorium,” the statement read.
It also said the continued lack of content for the next four to five months meant that the business was heading for further operational and cash flow challenges.
“The board is of the view that the safe harbour that business rescue provides, in terms of providing a legal moratorium, will assist the business to return to profitability, once operating restrictions have been lifted, when international film distributions start to flow again.”
However, cinemas will remain open to the public.
Acting CEO Motheo Matsau said: ““For our customers, it is important to note that our cinemas remain open for business. All cinemas have instituted strict COVID-19 protocols, which mean temperature checks and hand sanitising on arrival and inside the auditoria and mask wearing as appropriate. Every two seats are kept vacant for social distancing.”
By Ben Gilbert for Business Insider US
As the coronavirus pandemic continues around the world, some people are turning to an emerging black market for fake negative test results.
In France, at Paris’ Charles de Gaulle Airport in September, a group of seven people were arrested for selling falsified digital certificates intended to prove negative coronavirus results, the AP reported last week. The group was discovered following an investigation sparked by a traveler leaving France for Ethiopia. The traveler reportedly had a fake digital certificate that claimed they tested negative for the virus.
The group in Paris was reportedly selling the fake test results for $180 (R2,800) to $360 (R5,600) apiece.
In another case, in late October, a group of travelers in Brazil was found with falsified negative test results in an attempt to enter the Fernando de Noronha island group, the AP reported.
Rather than buying fake test results, the group is accused of altering their own results.
In yet another case, in the UK, several gentleman told The Lancashire Telegraph that they had doctored the results of friends’ tests in order to travel. “You can simply get their negative test and change the name and birth date to your own. You also put a test date on which is within the time limit required,” the unnamed man said. “You download the email, change it and then print it.”
Coronavirus diagnoses and deaths continue to climb around the world, and the pandemic has seen a resurgence in recent months in North America and Europe, according to the World Health Organisation. As of November 12, the virus has killed more than 1.2 million people and infected over 51 million people around the globe.