Two local parents have compared eight well-known South African retailers to find the most affordable stationery.
The parents sent their findings to the Parent24 website.
In the first table, reader Keith bases his information on promotional BTS leaflets and retailer websites.
In the second table, reader Jacky compared leading retailers, with the green indicating the cheapest option. Asterisks illustrate where prices were not available at the time of publishing.
Source: My Broadband
News website My Broadband has published an article indicating the price differential between online streaming service Netflix and satellite TV provider DStv.
The packages compared were the following:
- Netflix Standard – R139 per month. This offers all content in full HD, which can be watched on two devices.
- DStv Premium – R809 per month. This is DStv’s top package which offers all the base channels.
Other pricing elements which were taken into account are:
- The first month of Netflix is free. One year’s cost is therefore 11 months’ subscription.
- The DStv Premium price excludes the Access Fee of R90 per month. This provides access to PVR usage and DStv Now.
DStv versus Netflix
- DStv Premium – R899 (Annual total: R10 788)
- Netflix Standard – R139 (Annual total: R1 529)
- Total Savings Annually – R9 259
Even if Internet is included, Netflix still comes out cheaper.
- Netflix Standard + 10Mbps Fibre – R139 + R499 (Annual total: R7 517)
- Total Savings Annually – R3 271