PPG Industries, the world’s leading coatings and specialty products company, has launched Sherwood, a new consumer-focussed and user-friendly product range to the South African market. Offering an integrated solution for the wood coatings category, the new range is now on shelf.
Leveraging on the Research and Development (R&D) technology of the coatings giant, the Sherwood product range is manufactured under strict SABS ISO 9001 quality standards. In keeping with the move towards more carbon neutral living, the product ticks all the checkboxes of an environmentally-friendly wood coatings solution.
Sherwood product manager, Jeanine Arundale says, “Driven by a gap in the market in the wood category, we have introduced a range that meets the need for consumer simplicity. The wood category has traditionally been a technical minefield and both intimidating and a barrier to entry for the DIY consumer; with our unique, easy-to-use wood solution product this is all set to change.”
Most of the products in the Sherwood range are water-based. This offers significant benefits, such as non-yellowing appearance, low odour, as well as an easy application and cleaning process.
Sherwood aims to offer a dynamic retail concept that will provide a continuation of innovation. Attractive, differentiated, easy to understand and easy to use, the complete wood-solution system from Sherwood supports consumer decision-making and is very competitively priced. Everything about the product, including the in-store supporting shelves and point-of-sale (POS), has been designed around simplicity with self-explanatory guiding steps for application for all wood-related problems, and which can be applied on furniture even if you were to buy furniture locally, as wood can slightly differ from place to place in its quality.
The extensive product range has been developed around an easy three step process clearly explained on the product POS. Step one is to prepare by selecting products that will ensure the correct preparation and a sound foundation before selecting the correct Step two product. Step two is protect which offers a choice of different finishes and various colours which can be combined to achieve the desired result. Step three is maintain which offers nourishing wood preservers that keep the wood healthy and ensure the longevity of the coating.
Not only is the Sherwood 3-Step Wood Solution a complete wood solution, the innovative and guiding in-store point-of-sale elements have been designed around real consumer needs.
The Sherwood range includes the following 12 products:
- Sherwood Wood Reviver: a wood friendly, ready-to-use liquid applied to revive weathered wood and to clean wood surfaces. The product is formulated for use on vertical and horizontal surfaces, on hard and soft woods
- Sherwood Wood Stripper: a wood coating stripper for the removal of all common types of coatings, including alkyd enamels, varnishes and acrylic coatings, from wood
- Sherwood Interior Varnish: an environmentally-friendly, low odour varnish with a low gloss finish. Ideally suited for use on furniture, cupboards, skirting boards, window frames and doors
- Sherwood Interior Sealer: an environmentally-friendly, low odour sealer with a natural matt penetrating finish. Ideally suited for interior doors, window frames, cupboards, furniture and skirting boards
- Sherwood Hardwearing Varnish: a durable, solvent-based polyurethane varnish that is scratch and chip resistant. Ideally suited for interior wooden surfaces such as cupboards, tables and countertops
- Sherwood Floor Varnish: a durable varnish with excellent abrasion and scratch resistance with a natural gloss finish. Ideally suited for interior floors
- Sherwood Exterior Varnish: an environmentally-friendly, low odour, UV resistant varnish with a low gloss finish. Ideally suited for use on exterior furniture, window frames and doors
- Sherwood Exterior Sealer: an environmentally-friendly, low odour sealer with a natural matt penetrating finish. Ideally suited for exterior wooden doors, window frames and furniture
- Sherwood Garage Door Sealer: a specially formulated sealer that is water and UV resistant, with good fungal protection and a natural matt finish. Ideally suited for use on garage doors
- Sherwood Deck Sealer: a penetrating sealer containing oils, waxes and UV inhibitors for protection of all types of exterior wooden decks
- Interior Wood Preserver: a liquid, wipe-on maintenance treatment that nourishes and feeds varnished or sealed wooden surfaces. Ideally suited for the treatment of interior wooden furniture, door frames, doors and tabletops. Wood preservers ensure longevity
- Exterior Wood Preserver: a liquid, wipe-on maintenance treatment that nourishes and feeds varnished or sealed wooden surfaces. Ideally suited for the treatment of exterior doors, door frames, window frames, garage doors and outdoor furniture
Apart from the four standard colours available for Sherwood Varnish and Sherwood Sealer, there is also a range of stains available. These include both traditional wood colours, as well as modern options that can be used in Sherwood clear products. Stains cannot be used in the Hardwearing Varnish and Deck Sealer. Standard colours include clear, Teak, Oregon and Imbuia. Stains include Kiaat, Light Oak, Bamboo, Mahogany, Pacific Blue, Ruby, Shamrock Green and White Wash.
Arundale added, “It is a tough market with strong competitors, we do however believe that Sherwood’s complete and easy-to-understand range has an edge with three easy steps to bring wood back to life. The innovative and guiding in-store point-of-sale elements have been designed around real consumer needs.”
The Sherwood range of retail products is competitively priced and available at all Builders Warehouse and Builders Express stores and a few other selected stockists in South Africa. Technical data sheets are available on www.sherwoodsolutions.co.za or from the PPG Customer Care Centre on (011) 389 4746.