Source reduction refers to activities that reduce the volume or toxicity of waste generated, including the design and manufacture of products with minimal toxic content, low volume of material or a longer useful life. It is becoming an increased focus for brands that need to be conscious of their environmental footprint, and as a result greater emphasis is placed on the reduction of packaging material within the retail environment.
Timothy Beattie, General Manager of Pyrotec PackMedia – a leading provider of on-pack solutions -says: “By moving beyond conventional packaging methods and materials, brands can reduce their carbon footprint as well as their transportation spend and warehousing costs. Reducing excess packaging results in lighter and smaller shipments that cost less to transport.”
Pyrotec PackMedia offers the below source reduction tips for brand owners wishing to reduce their carbon footprint:
· Cut down on packaging costs: Clever on-shelf devices negate the need for excessive packaging. Pyrotec PackMedia assists brands in reducing packaging through its innovative range of Do-It Hang Tabs and Display Strips. These devices reduce – and often replace – the bulky packaging required to professionally display your products in retail stores.
· Streamline the product: In the design phase, product packaging should be streamlined to neaten the overall appearance and increase on-shelf display flexibility. More products are able to be displayed on shelves and it is easier for customers to handle the items – increasing the possibility of purchase.
· Increase product visibility: By hanging products vertically, less space is required on the shelves and visibility is increased. Packaging can be streamlined as it doesn’t have to work twice as hard to catch the attention of the customer. Do-It’s range of Hang Tabs and Display Strips is an easy, affordable way to place your product where it is most visible to the consumer.
· Lessen the environmental impact: Choose sustainable materials over conventional substrates. Materials produced from post consumer waste or that are recyclable all assist in decreasing your footprint.Do-It offers a range of biodegradable and recyclable options, allowing you to move closer towards achieving your environmental goals.
· Reduce the toxic content in your product: Be aware of the toxic content present in you packaging materials. International packaging laws require that manufacturers comply with legislation pertaining to the composition of packaging. For example, the Model Toxics in Packaging Legislation (the same model forms the basis of the European Union’s packaging requirements) was implemented to reduce the amount of heavy metals in packaging and thus safeguard the environment. Do-It’s range complies with all material safety requirements – in both the design and manufacturing process.
Beattie concludes: “Source reduction in packaging has been going on for decades as a way to reduce costs. Until recently, however, few companies were doing it to increase sustainability. With the increased concern for the environment, manufacturers and brand owners would be wise to investigate alternatives that allow them to minimise packaging – and ultimately their carbon footprint.”
Pyrotec is a privately owned South African company that specialises in providing innovative and top quality product identification solutions. The company’s extensive service offering includes on-pack product identification solutions including self-adhesive labels systems, as well as coding and labellingequipment. With a service offering founded on a dedication to quality, operational reliability, and excellent service, the Cape Town based company has a national footprint with centres in major cities across the country. With more than 40 years’experience, Pyrotec has three brands operating under its ambit: Pyrotec PackMedia, Pyrotec PackMark and Tower which includes Toby Tower. The proudly independent company is headed-up by Managing Director, Rowan Beattie.
For more info see: www.pyrotec.co.za