The first group of 30 interns involved in The Digital Academy’s rapid internship programme have graduated. Following a busy three-month period, interns presented the final versions of their projects to a technical panel.
A number of winners were picked based on 10 metrics. Technical presentation days were held once a week, and scores were collated across these metrics.
TorpedoKid, Bubblewave and 24/7 Goal Achiever were demoed.
Selected interns were given the opportunity to present their solutions to a Barclays executive committee.
On Friday 30 October, a graduation ceremony was held at The Digital Academy premises in Commissioner Street. All interns received a certificate of completion and a portfolio of evidence.
A number of awards were handed out. The winners were:
- Developer of the quarter – Lesiba Phokela;
- Most improved developer – Harry Mapengo;
- Team leader of the quarter – David Ndlovu;
- Best team challenge A (Gamification) – Torpedo Kid;
- Best team challenge B (Financial Wellness) – 24/7 Goal Achiever;
- Personality of the quarter – Thakgalo Phasha;
- The joker – Godfrey Mohapi;
- The workaholic – Vusi Ngwenya; and
- The silent assassin – Nceba Sobikwa.
The most improved member in each team was also awarded:
- The Hurricanes (Dave) – Hulisani Matodzi;
- Dynamic Fusion (Bonificious) – Jabulile Mahlangu;
- DevBytes (Tshepo) – Brian Pooe;
- Techno-Evolution (Marvine) – Nceba Sobikwa; and
- Devroids (Geoff) – Austin Lefatsa.
Of the 30 graduating junior software developers, 23 have already secured jobs. The next intake of interns began their programme on Monday 2 November.