Dear industry members
Following the successful industry survey during Level 3 of lockdown, the shop-sa board decided that, with the back-to-school (BTS) season approaching, it would be helpful to “players” in this segment to get some insight into expectations during the Covid-19 pandemic and the resulting delays in the opening of schools.
We believe the number of respondents made the results of the BTS survey both representative and informative.
The survey is in two segments:
A – Importers/wholesalers and manufacturers
B – Retailers/back-to-school suppliers
The common threads which emerged are:
- Sales expectations are around 6 % lower than last year
- Both suppliers and retailers are concerned about their stock levels but many intend to maintain inventory in anticipation of a “normal” season
- 30% of suppliers are expecting supply issues, whilst 45% don’t
- All expect a decline in the office stationery segment
- Regarding online trading/retailers:
- 13.3% indicated that they were not geared for it, but 33.3% of these do expect a shift to online
- 40% are geared for online trading but don’t expect a large shift to online
- 13.3% are both geared for, and expect a large shift to, online trading
We hope that the results give some indication and pointers to you.
We will certainly follow-up with actual results when the BTS season is over.
To request a copy of the survey, please click here.
Thanks to those who participated. It shows that our industry can work together, and shop-sa is pleased to be the facilitator.
Remember: none of us is as smart as all of us.
Section A: Importers/wholesalers and manufacturers
A 1) Please choose an option which best describes your overall expectation of
the upcoming BTS season:
A 2) What is your overall BTS sales growth / decline expectation?
A 3) With regards to stock, how are you approaching this year’s BTS period?
A 4) Due to Covid-19, the following best describes my supply situation
A 5) In which category do you expect to see growth? Select all that apply
A 6) In which category do you expect to see a decline? Select all that apply:
Section B Completed by retailers and / or school suppliers
B 1) Please choose what best describes your overall expectation of the upcoming BTS season:
B 2) What is your overall BTS sales growth / decline expectation?
B 3) The following best describes my expectations regarding online trading:
B 4) With regards to stock: how are you as a retailer / school supplier approaching this year’s BTS?
B 5) In which category do you expect to see growth? Select all that apply:
B 6) In which category do you expect to see a decline? Select all that apply: