Amazon’s sales surged again in the third quarter, topping $25-billion. That sales figure represented a comparable year-on-year growth rate of a whopping 30% as Amazon reported increases across all categories and markets.
• Currency-adjusted sales up 30% to $25,4-billion;
• North America sales up 29% to $15-billion;
• International sales up 24% to $8,3-billion;
• Amazon Web Services up 78% to $2,1-billion;
• Electronics and general merchandise (which includes office supplies) up 35% to $11,8-billion; and
• Operating profit of $406-million.
Amazon has also expanded free same-day delivery for Prime members to the Chicago and Orlando areas as well as new locations in the New York, New Jersey and Philadelphia metro regions. The programme now serves more than 750 cities and towns across 16 US metro areas.
The company didn’t provide any details of its Amazon Business initiative in either its earnings release or analyst conference call.
By Andy Braithwaite for OPI