The Gautrain Management Agency has provided an an update on Gautrain 2, the next phase of the Gautrain project.
Gautrain CEO Jack van der Merwe says the planned network for Gautrain 2 is from Mamelodi in the east of Pretoria to Jabulani in the west of Soweto, from Lanseria to Little Falls and Cosmo into Randburg and Marlboro, and from OR Tambo International Airport to Boksburg.
Interesting facts about the new development include:
- 150km of additional railway line
- 19 new stations
- The first phase planned will be from Lanseria to Little Falls into Randburg and Marlboro
- The project will create 210 000 jobs
- Private sector funding will be increased to 33%
- The need for Gautrain 2 was prompted by the estimated growth in Gauteng’s population, which is expected to increase by 48% to 19.1 million people by 2037 (from 12.9 million in 2014)
- In the past 10 years the use of private transport has gone up to 56%, causing congestion on highways