By Jay Caboz for Business Insider SA
Network service provider Openserve, the telecommunications infrastructure company that handles the backbone of Telkom’s network, has confirmed a fault currently impacting voice services, especially calls to some call centres.
The most affected are smart customer call centre numbers in the 086 range, which are dropping calls nationwide.
The fault is affecting multiple businesses from emergency rescue service through to call centres at Discovery.
“Voice services have been largely impacted since 07h00 this morning with intermittent call termination failures,” said the company in a statement.
“Openserve confirms that its high-level support personnel are currently engaging with its vendor technical support teams to isolate and resolve a fault that is currently impacting voice services.”
The company has apologised to all those affected and said it had escalated the matter as a high priority.
The most affected appear to be smart call centres lines that make use of 086 numbers, which are dropping calls nationwide.
These are mostly the toll -free numbers, as well as other Telkom landline operations businesses use, reported MyBroadband.
One emergency line has also been affected, that of the Divers Alert Network or DAN South Africa.
“Please note that our call centres are affected by a Telkom network issue in South Africa. We are working to resolve this as soon as possible. Please use +27 82 810 6010 or email@example.com to contact the DAN hotline for dive safety advice or an emergency. For the DAN admin office use +27 71 476 1138 or firstname.lastname@example.org”, it states on its website.
The fault mostly affects call centres used by the likes of banks and insurance companies. Some are now providing alternative numbers to use.
- Telkom – WhatsApp or SMS 081 160 1700, or DM over social media
- SAhomeLoans – 031 576 5858
- Discovery Bank – 011 324 4000
- Discovery Health, Life, Invest and Bank – 011 539 6006
- OUTsurance – email@example.com
- 1Life insurance – 010 493 9007
- Hollard – 011 351 4669
- Investec – DM over social media
- CapeTownCycleTour- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Virgin Active – 021 684 3002
- African Bank – DM over social media
- Bidvest- 011 407 3103
- Standard Bank – Lost & Stolen cards 011 299 4114; Transactional banking 011 299 4701; Home Loans 011 299 4600; Vehicle Asset Finance 011 299 4747