The Western Cape government has declared the entire province a disaster area in order to deal with the ongoing drought, MEC Alan Winde said on Monday.
The declaration was made to speed up the reaction time for the deployment of resources to tackle water scarcity, Winde told News24.
The deceleration will be formally gazetted during the course of the week after it was adopted by the provincial cabinet last week.
The Karoo and West Coast municipalities were declared a disaster area in 2016, but the disaster area has now been extended to the entire province.
“The disaster area declaration will help municipalities deal with issues of blockages in the procurement process to tackle the ongoing drought,” Winde said.
By James de Villiers for News24